Friday, February 09, 2007

The Googling

So I had a bit of free time at work on the 1st of February and logged in to blogger to check the work blog, and it said they were transferring all the blogs over to Google and I had to set up a google account to access the work blog. This I did. Then I had to do the same for my dr_eamer blogs, and thought 'Well, can't I just use the same google account?' I tried this, but then to my horror, all my blogs - work and non-work - were piled together under my real name, and the dr_eamer profile vanished. I hurriedly attempted to amend all this, but due to the firewalls at work, any time I tried to alter my profile, I was met with a blunt and rather stubborn electronic refusal.

So I spent the day trying not to imagine my colleagues and bosses perusing through my non-work blogs and thinking to themselves, 'Who the hell is this guy? And what has he been doing on company time? Colouring in pictures of the world in blue? Writing short stories about dying and ending up outside a big wooden door??' (yes to both, I'm afraid) But after work was over I made my way down to the nearest cyber cafe and did my best to put things right. Unfortunately I realised all of my posts and comments on the Thought Foundry were now signed with my real name. Dr_eamer, for all intents and purposes, had been wiped.

Well, I couldn't go around in the blog-scape under my real name - it would feel like walking around the cyberworld in my underpants. So what I ended up doing was this: I started up a new google account under the name dr_eamer, and invited this new identity to join my eamer blogs. Then I transferred admin control to him. All I had to do then was delete my real self from the blogs. But under new Google management I couldn't delete the person who had started the blog! Gaah! Exasperation knew no bounds for me that day!

I even tried to delete the whole blog. The Thought Foundry, for about 5 minutes on the first of February, was in a state of limbo. Because under Google, we can't even delete our own blogs, so I was reduced to changing the HTML formatting to merely "a" and nothing else.

But I couldn't do it. I resurrected the Thought Foundry by copying and pasting another template into the space that had said nothing but "a", and hoped for the best. Hence the new decor.

But my real name was still on there. There was only one thing for it, really. 'Right,' I thought, grinding my teeth and punching my open palm, 'The real me must go.'

And I deleted my real google account.

So if anyone's wondering why when they click on my name on their blog comments pages no profile shows up, that's why. A new dr_eamer account will be created as soon as I get over my temporary disaffection with blogs in general.

And for the past week I haven't been able to log in to my work blog. It's been kind of peaceful! :)

6 Comments:

Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

Get better soon dr! sorry about deleting the account Google can be tricky. I do like the new look though

11:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it looks very nice. Fortunately I did not lose my link to your page.

8:33 am  
Blogger David said...

Not to fear. The original address will survive. I've already been there - done that.

5:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments folks. It was a mid-blog crisis...

9:41 am  
Blogger m said...

Okay, it all makes sense now and I know where you are. What a pain!

11:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, m, it's always nice to be missed :)

1:34 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home